What is the meaning of Gospel of Jesus’s Wife?
Gospel of Jesus’s Wife, the small fragment of papyrus acquired by Professor Karen King of Harvard Divinity School, was classified as “ancient” (600 – 700 CE) in March of 2014. After almost two years of scientific analysis, multiple professional teams have deemed this tiny fragment “authentic.” No evidence of modern fabrication was found. Now, on to the Big Question. What or who is Jesus’s wife”? The Biblical Archaeology Society states that the meaning of this manuscript’s text remains open for debate.
“This is not, in any case, evidence that
Jesus was married.”
1. not to me. My mother gave me life*
2. The disciples said to Jesus
3. deny. Mary is not worthy of it
4. Jesus said to them, My wife
5. she is able to be my disciple
6. Let wicked people swell up
7. As for me, I am with her in order to
8. an image
(Translation as it appears on the papyrus)
*Or: “I exist with it/her”; “I dwell with it/her.”